Several improvements

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM
Hi Stefan,

As I mentioned one of my previous threads, I decided to use your panel in some of scenarios in my App. During this, I faced several problems and tried to fix them. Heer is the list of what I found and fixed:

- Sending of the UserControl name in plain text can be dangerous. In this case, if someone knows path to some "secret" UserControl - he can load it by injecting the desired path to javascript. There is no any check on the server and the panel will successfully load this control. I've added encryption support to your product to minimize this risk.

- If validators are placed inside of UserControl - they're raised during the initial control loading, since request is treated as postback. I've added a workaround to fix this defect (added a dummy __EVENTTARGET argument to the request).

- There was a possibility to send parameters from a client to a server, but there wasn't any possibility to change a parameter on the server and send them back to the client. I needed such behaviour and added support of "two-way" parameters.

- There was a problem when PartialUpdatePanel was placed inside of Microsoft UpdatePanel. This also was fixed.
- There was a problem when AjaxControlToolkit.ToolkitScriptManager was used, especially when CombineScripts mode of this control is enabled. PartialUpdatePanel tried to load necessary scripts, even if they were already loaded by the parent page. As a result, we were getting javascript error. I fixed this problem.
- There was an error that when new content was received from the server, the existing content wasn't disposed, sometimes I got situations, when one control was alive and there was attempt to create it again (component with the same ID). Javascript was raising exception. I've added functionality of destroying an elements' tree before loading new content on the client (_destroyTree method).

I could forget to mentiod something, if so - update you later :). Please let me know if you're interested in updated source code (probably you would like to include it in one of your releases). If so, please reply me to this message please and I'll send you the archive.
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Hi grown,

your improvements and fixes sound really good!
I have much work to do in my job so I have less time to work on the PartialUpdatePanel than I would like to have.

I am highly interested in your code and would be happy if you could sent it to me.

Thank you in advance very much for your help in improving the PartialUpdatePanel!

Best regards,
Stefan